Hello, Minneapolis! I’m Danielle and I’m filling in for your usual curator Georgi for the week. Please note that your newsletters may be a bit lighter during this time. Now, here are all the most important things to know about what’s happening locally.
First, today’s weather:
A couple of afternoon showers. High: 74 Low: 58.
Here are the top three stories today in Minneapolis:
- The 2022 primary election in Minneapolis is set to feature contested races for local, county, statewide, and federal offices. The Aug. 9 event will have races for the school district, governor, attorney general, secretary of state, and Minnesota’s 5th District (which includes Minneapolis). Visit Patch for a full list of races and candidates that will appear on your ballots. (Patch)
- The Minnesota Twins have announced details for the team’s upcoming Prince-themed game, happening tonight (Tuesday, Jun. 7). The first 10,000 fans will receive a co-branded Twins/Prince shirt; those who purchase the full separate Prince Theme Night ticket package will walk out with an exclusive “Purple Rain” jacket. Gates open at Target Field at 5:30 p.m., with the matchup against the Yankees kicking off at 6:40 p.m. (KARE11.com)
- A Minneapolis toddler is recovering after being shot in the stomach on Sunday night. The three-year-old boy underwent surgery at North Memorial Hospital and is reported to be in stable condition. Since April 2021, at least eight children aged 10 and younger have been struck by gunfire in Minneapolis. (U.S. News & World Report)
Today in Minneapolis:
- Career Counseling And Job Search Assistance With CareerForce At Hosmer Library (1:00 PM)
- COVID Vaccination Event At Hosmer Library (4:00 PM)
- Trivia Tuesday At Lakes & Legends Brewing Company (7:00 PM)
- Cara Connors: Straight For Pay Comedy Tour At Comedy Corner Underground (8:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- A reminder from the Minneapolis Farmers Market: the market is open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., rain or shine, and is busiest on weekends. Head over to 312 Lyndale Avenue to check it out, if you haven’t already. (Minneapolis Farmers Market via Facebook)
- Share your gift of music at Pianos on Parade, presented by PNC Bank, in downtown Minneapolis all month long. Learn more about the program on mpls downtown. (mpls downtown via Instagram)
- Who’s hiring in the Minneapolis area? Check out the latest local jobs, courtesy of Patch and ZipRecruiter. (Minneapolis Patch)
- If you missed this past weekend’s Open Streets Lyndale, don’t worry: Open Streets Minneapolis and the City will be hosting another event on East Franklin Avenue from 12:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jul. 10. (Open Streets Minneapolis via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Alrighty, you’re all good for today. I’ll see you back in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update!
— Danielle Fallon
About me: Danielle Fallon is a senior writer with content creation agency Lightning Media Partners and assists Patch.com with community newsletter curation. Danielle also holds a Master’s Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and works part-time as a pediatric speech therapist.