Hi all! We’ve made it through Monday, and I’m here with your fresh Tuesday morning copy of the Pittsburgh Patch newsletter, full of everything you need to know about what’s happening locally. Today you’ll learn about:
- PNC cutting 30 more branches as 2023 tally stretches to 126
- Historic Pittsburgh Pizza Place with Steelers connection to close
- Three Pittsburgh museums named to USA Today top 10 lists
But first, today’s weather: Winds gradually subsiding. High: 51 Low: 34.
Are you tired of blending in with all the other real estate agents in Pittsburgh? Stand out with a premium sponsorship in our newsletter. Gain valuable exposure for yourself to our highly engaged local readership. Click here to learn more about this exclusive opportunity.
Here are the top stories in Pittsburgh today:
1) PNC Bank is cutting an additional 30 branches across its footprint, with three of them being located in Pennsylvania. Location closures are up to 126 for the year, beating out the 105 closed in the first half of 2022. While the bank does still open new branches, the new locations do not surpass the amount closed. “PNC has not said how many branches it expects to close in 2023, nationally or locally.”
2) Multiple Pittsburgh museums have been named to USA Today’s top 10 lists. In the Best Art Museum category, Pittsburgh’s own Andy Warhol Museum, part of the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, came in at spot No. 4. In the Best Children’s Museum category, the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh came in at spot No. 2, coming in behind only the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis. Finally, in the Best History Museum category, the Heinz History Center also placed in spot No. 2, coming in behind only the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
3) Vento’s Pizza in East Liberty is shutting its doors after after nearly seven decades. On March 4, the Italian eatery closely associated with former Steelers player Franco Harris and founder of ‘Franco’s Italian Army’ back in 1972, will officially cease services. “There is no word yet on what might occupy the soon-to-be vacant Vento’s space located in the Home Depot plaza.”
4) Local families with children or young relatives have many options when it comes to Pittsburgh entertainment this month. On March 2-5, Disney on Ice will present “Into the Magic,” at PPG Paints Arena. On March 3-12: A show of “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,” will be performed at New Hazlett Theater. On March 9-11: ‘Le Patin Libre’, which translates from French to ‘free skate’ will occur at the UPMC Rink at PPG Plaza, consisting of champion level ice-skaters putting on a show and dance on ice. Finally, on March 18-19: guests can visit Penguin-Palooza! at the National Aviary, taking part in a fun feeding and talking with experts to find out how to help penguins and other marine life every day.
5) Travelers navigating Boulevard of the Allies and Route 885 can expect planned, 15-minute stops causing traffic delays this week. The delays will occur from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each of the next few days until Thursday between Crosstown Boulevard and the Birmingham Bridge. “Crews will conduct shielding installation, dam replacement work, concrete barrier and deck repairs and other construction activities.” Cause of the delays is related to preservation work on bridges and several ramps along the route.
- Pittsburgh Bureau of Police: “UPDATE: Dahlia Braver has been found. ORIGINAL STORY: Pittsburgh Police SVU detectives seek the public’s help to find a missing 16-year-old girl.” (Pittsburgh Bureau of Police via Facebook)
- US National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA: “❗️Stay weather aware today as we’re anticipating some potentially severe thunderstorms across portions of Ohio, northern West Virginia, and into far southwest Pennsylvania this afternoon and evening. Strong and potentially damaging wind gusts are the primary concern.” (US National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA via Facebook)
- Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens: “It’s the LAST WEEK for our Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show: Origin Stories! Don’t miss your chance to see two of the most exquisite species in our collection.” (Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens via Facebook)
- City of Pittsburgh: “There are over 80 open jobs with the City of Pittsburgh! Apply today and join our team to build a safe, welcoming, and thriving City for all at pghjobs.net” (City of Pittsburgh via Facebook)
- Buy Fresh Buy Local/Farm to Table Western PA: “Attention farmers markets & CSAs — update your data for 2023 Western PA Local Food Guides! Also, learn more about Farm to Table Expo at the Pittsburgh Home & Garden Show starting THIS Friday, March 3. https://conta.cc/41y9Lto” (Buy Fresh Buy Local/Farm to Table Western PA via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Featured gigs & services:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Tuesday off right. See you all tomorrow morning for another update!
— Rachel Tasker
About me: Rachel is a native Pennsylvanian with stops in Erie and State College before making Pittsburgh her home in 2020. She’s got a background in a little bit of everything… from working in media newsrooms and public health to the 2016 Presidential election in Washington, D.C. and the 2019 Super Bowl where (surprise!) Tom Brady won… AGAIN. She loves good coffee, bad reality T.V., attending local events and trying new food in the 412. She resides in the South Hills.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Pittsburgh Patch newsletter? Contact me at email@example.com
Leave a Comment